Tree root removal is a more complex task than cutting down the tree, especially if the tree is big, requiring professional help. In this how-to guide, we’ll cover the things you need to know about tree root removal, the challenges you might face, tools that you will need, and circumstances that require expert tree root removal in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas and other nearby locations.
Options for Tree Root Removal in Hot Springs Village, AR
After a tree service cuts down a tree in your yard at Hot Springs Village, AR,, you may need to remove the roots from the ground for various reasons. The roots may be clogging your sewer line, cracking your sidewalk, or growing near the house.
There are 3 methods of removing tree roots that are left after taking down a tree:
• Physically removing the roots yourself
• Treating the roots with chemicals
• Hiring a professional tree stump killer
Physically Removing Tree Roots on Your Own
This is the fastest though the most laborious way of removing the tree roots in Hot Springs, AR . You may dig out the stump and the roots or use a stump grinder if you can get one. This method is applicable when dealing with small and shallow rooted- trees.
a. Digging Out tree roots
Tools that you will need include a spade, loppers, grub hoe, and a root saw.
Before you embark on tree removal and digging out the roots, you need to call the utility company in Hot Springs Village to ensure that you aren’t digging around water, sewer, or other underground lines. After getting an okay from them, follow these steps.
- Start by digging out the soil that surrounds the roots to expose them by use of a spade. Pull out any loose roots until no more loose ones remain.
- Dig out the dirt surrounding the still intact roots and cut through them using your loppers. If the roots are too thick for the loppers, use a root saw and be keen to cut far from the root ball.
- By using a grub hoe, lift out the cut roots. Pull additional ones out by hand if you can. Push the stump back and forth to loosen the roots and continue to cut and pull roots until you are able to remove the root ball from the soil.
b. Using a Stump Grinder to Remove Tree Roots
Stump grinding is an option when digging out proves difficult and ineffective. It is fast and some fresh wood is created in the process. Professional tree service companies in Hot Springs Village often use a stump grinder to do this job. You can rent a stump grinder from tree service companies in Hot Springs Village, AR, or hire professionals who provide stump removal services.
The average cost of renting a stump grinder is $100-$ 400 in Hot Springs Village, AR. Stump grinding involves handling a lot of debris and you should be in the right safety gear. Fully cover your body with pants, protective headgear and glasses, and a long sleeve shirt. Then follow the following steps:
- Using your chainsaw, trim the trunk as close to the ground as possible.
- Dig up any rocks and debris around the trunk that could damage your grinder.
- Drive the grinder onto the stump and start grinding it down to 2-4 inches, depending on the size and location of the tree.
- Using your shovel again, dig up tree roots that were attached to the trunk.
- Treating the area to the desired outlook is the last procedure, then use a shovel to fill the hole with wood chips. You will also need to add topsoil and grass seeds if the area was grassed.
It is also key to continue to check on the hole and treat it until it becomes a natural part of the yard.
Treating the Roots with Chemicals
A typical tree service company provides you with 3 choices of chemicals to treat the roots in your yard. First is the chemical herbicide, which is the fastest in root elimination. The second is the use of rock salt. Though effective, it takes longer to treat. Then lastly is the use of Epsom salt or another highly concentrated form. Don’t go for table salt since it can’t work.
Removing Roots Using a Chemical Compound
Tools that you will need are a saw, water hose, garden sprayer/ paintbrush, and an active ingredient concentration of not less than 41 percent. Here are the steps to follow:
- Use a saw to make a fresh cut across the stump, then saturate the tree’s outer layer with water.
- Mix the glyphosate herbicide with water at a ratio of 1:1 to create a 50/50 solution.
- Using the garden sprayer, saturate the outer ring of the tree stump with the solution. Be keen not to harm the grass on your lawn.
After you spray the treatment on the stump , wait for about 2 weeks from the date of spraying for the roots to die off completely.
Removing the Roots with Rock Salt
You will need rock salt, a drill, and water to perform the removal. Then follow the following steps:
- Drill several holes in the tree stump and on exposed roots on the ground 3-4 inches deep.
- Fill all the holes completely with the rock salt and add enough water to cover the hole without any spillage to the vegetation.
- Repeat filling the holes with salt and water several times over the next few months.
Over time the rock salt will rob the roots of all the water and your tree roots will die off.
Hiring a Professional Service Tree Provider
We highly recommend that you contact local tree service providers in Hot Springs Village, AR. You can review all the companies in the root removal business then request a quotation. Most of them give free estimates. Try to compare quotes and choose the best price. Most companies in Hot Springs offer stump grinding/removal alongside tree trimming, tree removal, and lawn care. Go for the top-rated local company in Hot Springs Village, AR, and your project will be done well and your property will be well taken care of. Here are the advantages of hiring professional tree root providers for your residence or businesses in the Springs and surrounding areas:
- No hustles of digging and grinding the stumps yourself
- Takes a shorter time for the roots to die off
- Professionals use bigger grinders and can do a great job on large tree stumps
Tree Root Removal Without Harming the Tree
Whenever you want to prune your tree roots without harming your tree in Hot Springs Village, AR,, you only need to trim the roots back. Then take measures to prevent them from coming back to undesired areas like near the house. You will need a hand trowel, water horse, a wheelbarrow/ tarp, root saw and plastic/metal/ concrete. Below is the procedure to follow.
- Soften the ground with water until it’s damp, not soggy.
- Use the hand trowel to loosen the soil and feel out the roots.
- Using your hands remove the soil in and around the roots and place it in the wheelbarrow/tarp.
- Using your root saw, cut the roots carefully. To avoid any damage ensure you:
- Don’t cut more than one-third of the roots.
- Cut only those roots smaller than the size of a fist.
- Do not cut any more than 25% from one side.
- Measure the tree trunk’s diameter, and then multiply it by three. That’s as close to the trunk as you want to cut.
- Dig a trench between the roots and the area that you don’t want them to go.
- Place a metal/plastic/concrete barrier at least 12 inches high and 10 inches long then cover it with the soil.
- Lastly, compact the soil down and spray with water to wet the ground.
Removing Roots Inside Plumbing Pipes
Clogged plumbing due to tree roots is a common issue for homeowners in Hot Springs Village AR, among other locations. Gladly just a little rock salt can help to correct this problem. The rock salt will kill the tree roots by robbing them of their moisture. Here is the procedure to follow:
- Pour about half a pound of rock salt at a time in your toilet and flush until it goes down the pipes.
- Repeat until you’ve used a full two pounds. Then close off the bathroom and don’t let anyone in the family use that toilet for about 8 to 12 hours.
- Repeat this monthly for ongoing maintenance.
Are you looking for Tree Root Removal Services in Hot Springs Village, AR? Contact Urban Jack Tree Service!
If you have been searching for root removal services after cutting down trees or other services like pruning or stump removal, tree removal, or tree trimming and pruning, call (501) 547-4018 for a free quote. Urban Jack Tree is a reputable tree service company in Hot Springs Village, AR, and has been serving the community for many years. We will give you a breakdown of the cost and arrange a site visit to assess your trees and roots.